Monday, October 8, 2012

Dreaming of Dragons


Emily 
I don't like people breathing on me.  I think it all stems from attending church dances.  Awkward 14 year olds and slow dances, close but not too close but still close enough you could feel him/her exhale.  I still remember the purposeful thought I put into spacing my breathing so that I breathed out at the same time my dance partner breathed out in order to avoid inhaling his exhalation.  It's not just other people's air.  I hate breathing in my own exhaust.  Typically I can avoid such moments, but when wearing a surgical mask at work for neutropenic patients there is no avoiding the situation.  Camping is another example.  If it's cold outside, I'll pull a sleeping bag over my head to retain heat, but the consequence is my breath hits the side of the bag and comes right back in.  Sick  I've solved the problem by creating a pocket of airspace around my nose and mouth for the air to escape and for me to get a breath of fresh air.  

Jay was well informed before we got married.  He maintains a certain awareness of how close he is to me and where he is directing his breathing.  He does a pretty good job.  

Jay
Growing up, Jay was a sleep walker.  To my knowledge it has been years since he has been found sleep walking around his house, but he does talk in his sleep.  I often wake up to him mumbling something indiscernible and occasionally moving around apparent that he is dreaming.  

I too was warned and told stories of Jay's sleep walking/talking escapades before we tied the knot.  

Us
About two months after we got married, we were both sound asleep.  It was the middle of the night and all of a sudden I woke up right as Jay was lunging for me.  He got about 4 inches from my face and started blowing like he was a trying to blow out candles on a birthday cake or as if he was dreaming that he was a dragon.  

He still can't remember what he was dreaming about other than he really needed to blow something out....

2 comments: