Thursday, October 11, 2012

Details of the Job

This will be a boring post.  No pictures.  No fun stories.  Just information to pass along for everyone to know.

I graduated August 10, 2012.  I became and MSN

I took boards on September 11, 2012.  I traveled nearly 60 miles to a testing center so that I could take the test before Sept 27th, the only available date at the Tucson testing center.  I passed!  My heart was pounding while I was waiting for the results to show up.  Passing makes me a Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), or an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) and board certified (bc).

And then I began job search.  I was terrified of applying blindly for jobs at offices where I didn't know anyone.  Not all doctors are nice.  And I'm a new grad.  I didn't want to get eaten alive or feel incompetent in my first job.  I wasn't sure where to start looking.  I didn't have any connections with people in the area yet.  The first resume I turned in was to Monica, the office manager for a company called Arizona Community Physicians.  Jay was in clinical rotations with a family practice doctor who is part of this company.  It was after the Dr.'s suggestion that I gave her my resume.  A few days later I began applying for other NP jobs I could find online.  I was surprised how quickly I heard back from several of the companies. I learned that nurse practitioners are well used in Arizona and luckily there are a lot of jobs available.

I met with a lady 2 days after submitting an application.  I passed her interview and the next day I met her husband, a family practice doctor at a practice less than a mile from my house.  He interviewed me and offered me the job right there.  I requested a few days to consider everything.  It as close to my house.  It was family practice.  It was flexible hours and part time starting until I build up to full time patients.  But it did not include any benefits, the starting wage considering I had no benefits was especially low, and I would be training my own medical assistant.  The other leads I had at that point were for jobs in skilled nursing facilities or doing home visits and I think I always envisioned myself working in more of a clinic setting.

So I accepted the offer late Wednesday afternoon.  I put it off as long as I could that day.

On Thursday Jay texted me from work saying that Monica wanted me to call her.  There was an opening with their company in the NW part of Tucson she wanted to let me know about.

But -- I already accepted a job.  I had not signed any contracts, but I already committed to someone.  Jay suggested that it wouldn't hurt to at least call and find out about the job.

The job available was with Dr Charani, the physician Jay had been working with all month.  I met Dr. Charani multiple times that month.  I knew him well enough to know that he is kind and hard working.  His staff like to work for him.  I knew environment wise as a new graduate this would be an ideal job.  It was full time work with a starting salary that was exactly the same as what the other job offered me but full benefits were included.  Additionally, the office is about 2 miles from our apartment.  Commuting was an important aspect of where I took a job.

One week later, they offered me the job which I accepted.

I know that the Lord's guiding hand was involved in this process.  He knew my fears of not knowing people and work in this area.  He also knows what Jay and I would need for me in accepting a job.  Over the 3 weeks I searched for jobs and interviewed with different people and places, it was the first doctor I met in Tucson, the only physician I actually know in the area, and the first person I gave a resume to where I was able to secure a job.  It provides us with the benefits we need and with an income where we can start paying down on some of Jay's medical school loans.

It feels good.  It feels right.  No wonder I had reservations about saying yes at the first place.

Now if the state of Arizona would just finish processing my licenses.  The current PA at the job doesn't move until November, so I have 4 weeks before I officially start working.

this has nothing to do with my job offer...I just wanted to add another photo.  taken in oregon, hiking multnomah falls
And Jay is happy that he can take credit for helping me find a job.  Thanks!

oh and one more funny part of the job.  Dr. Charani.  I think he will provide some good laughs.  He called me Friday and said, "I have some bad news.  (Long pause).  You have to work with me."

2 comments: