Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Stethoscopes and Binoculars

Several months ago Jay said to me--Bird watching is a lot like being a doctor.

NEWS FLASH: My husband likes bird watching.

We may be driving in the car, out on a run, or even in a boat on the beautiful ocean in the Dominican Republic and Jay will point to a bird.  Once we were camping and he said he was just laying in the tent listening to the birds.

I'm oblivious.  I hadn't heard the birds that morning.  I didn't notice the hawk perched high on a telephone pole as we drove by.  And on my runs, my head is usually down to the ground, focused on each step I'm taking.

So, how is bird watching like the medical profession?

While bird watching, you usually only have a split second to identify a particular bird.  This is usually done by identifying key parts of the bird-the wingspan, the curve of the neck, the color of the feathers, how it flies, or the shape of the tail to name a few.  Medicine is the same.  In order to identify a disease, you also have to identify a few key symptoms.

Jay suggested once that, in time, I might really enjoy bird watching with him.  "You know, like when a girl starts watching Monday night football with her husband just to spend time and support him and then ends up becoming a big sports fan."

Maybe.

For now, if I can take out my bike and hold the camera, I am happy to come along and enjoy the adventures of birding.

We have been bird watching twice.  Once in Utah before moving to AZ and once in AZ on a trail just off the back of our apartment complex.  We've seen hawks, golden finches, coots, black neck stilts, avocets, woodpeckers, magpies, pelicans and, one of Jay's favorites, a Vermilion flycatcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment