Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Windy City

My blog posts over the next few weeks to months will not be in any order as I try to get caught up from our summer.

After a surgery rotation in August with a great surgeon in Utah, Jay has been more interested in pursing a surgical route for residency.  Despite the long hours on the job and long years in residency, he loves the variety of patients he saw, the hands on skills used, and the inpatient and outpatient side of the job.  A few weeks ago he found out about a surgery conference in Chicago.  After my encouragement he decided to attend the conference.  After his encouragement, I decided to come visit the city as well.

We used frequent flyer points and flew there for the cost of only a one way ticket.  And we were fortunate to stay with the parents of one of Jay's classmates in a 3 story loft a mile from the waterfront.  It was a BEAUTIFUL apartment and such a unique setting compared to residential housing in Provo or Tucson.
This picture does not do the apartment justice, but here is a view of the loft where we stayed

Jay attended meetings 8 hrs/day for 3 days straight so there was too much time for sightseeing.  The classes he attended were very informative about lifestyle of a surgeon, interview techniques and options for getting into residency.  In the interview class he learned--a light gray suit is a no; wear glasses it makes you look more nerdy; look at the person in their R eye; learn to stand up and reach out your R hand for a hand shake while buttoning your suit jacket with your left; fohawk is a definite NO, and best to wear your name tag on your R chest because that is where your eye goes first when you shake someone's hand.  Who knew there was a science to all of this?!?

We probably walked close to 8 miles the first afternoon/evening we were there.  We walked to the waterfront and saw the Bean, Buckingham Fountain, the Navy Pier, John Hancock Tower and walked down Magnificent Mile.  We also had a chance to take a boat tour and hear about the architecture and history of the city of Chicago.  It was impressive to hear and see the city from that viewpoint and reminded me of a mini tour I received in NYC the summer I nannied in Connecticut.  My brother took me on my own personal tour including historical significance and personal experiences of several buildings (Chrysler, Trump, and Woolsworth Building), ground zero, battery park and central park.  I loved both

While Jay was in meetings I had a chance to visit one of the local Art museums and enjoyed a 6 mile run along the waterfront.  In the middle of the run I got asked by one person if I was training for the marathon on Sunday.  I was confused at first and then remembered the Chicago marathon was in less than a week on Sunday the 7th.  I said that I actually training for the St George Marathon on October 6th.

The food was amazing.  We had some green curry from a Thai restaurant, amazing pasta and salmon at an upscale Italian place, deep dish pizza at 2 different restaurants, and pretzel pancakes with white chocolate caramel sauce on top.

Jay and his pretzel pancakes

It was a fun weekend away, but perhaps not the best pre marathon training.  After walking 8-10 miles each day I was starting to feel it in the soles of my feet and shins.


No comments:

Post a Comment