Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Lesson in Flats

And I wish I was talking about flats-the shoe sort.  I wear a lot of those these days at work, but no. I have no lesson to share with you about shoes.  

Flat tire #1
Oregon summer of 2011.  Thankfully we got the flat while in the city before driving back to Utah.  I wish spent more time watching Jay change this tire.  We replaced all 4 tires in Oregon before heading back to Utah.  


Flat tire #2
Glendale AZ May 2012. Jay nicked a curb while parking the car.  This time we only had to replace one tire and it was covered under the warranty. 

Flat tire #3
Tucson AZ January 2013.  I was driving Jay's car and hit a pot hole.  HARD. I knew as soon as I hit it the tire was blown.  BOOO!

Jay was across town in a hospital based rotation and wasn't able to come help but my brother in law was able to get off work a little early to come help.  He was 45 min away, so while waiting I decided to get started.  I knew where the spare tire and  where the jack was stored.  I pulled those out of the car.  I was feeling confident and decided to get started.  I put the jack in the correct place and got the car a few inches off the ground.  I even texted Jay to let him know my progress and that I car the car jack but that I wasn't able to loosen the lug nuts on the car.  This was my first fail.  Jay got a good laugh out of the text.  I have since learned--loosen the lug nuts and then worry about using the jack.  Ahh-a lesson learn.  And hopefully not a lesson I will need to put into practice anytime soon.  While waiting for my brother in law, a nice man named Kevin pulled over to help me.  He informed me of my first mistake and lowered the car back to the ground.  And also my second mistake-pull the emergency brake before doing anything else.  And he took care of the rest.  The tire was changed and I was on my way before my brother in law had a chance to arrive.  

Unfortunately, I found out at the tire center the next day I had damaged the rim in the fiasco the day before.  UGH! If I had known, I would have driven home rather than be so careful in trying not to damage the rim.  Ordering a rim was $300 bucks and took a week to arrive.  

The spare on our car has had far more miles on it in the last 1 1/2 years than I think is safe.  I hope it stays locked up in the trunk for another 5 years.  

Our next car investment-a battery.  I am told in AZ cars burn through batteries about every 2 years.  We replaced Jay's battery in October.  Mine is up next.  




No comments:

Post a Comment